Monday, June 21, 2010

Our two nighter at Batson

I'm a little late on this, but I'm sure you'll understand.

Last Tuesday, my sweet baby was admitted to Blair E. Batson with difficulty breathing.  I've never had so much fear concerning the well-being of one of my kids!

I had a few errands to run before our Savannah trip (I'll have to save this ordeal for another day when the mention of this doesn't make me wan't to throw something, puke, or cry), so my granny offered to come and watch the kids at my house that morning.  Eve had a virus the week before, but she had been doing very well for a few days.  No fever.  No runny nose.  Very minimal coughing.  I thought she'd be fine without me for a while, and I definitely felt good about leaving her while Brandon and I got away for a few days.

So, after the tires were balanced and the prescriptions were refilled, I returned home to find a happy toddler and a very fussy baby.  She seemed pretty upset, but I could also tell that she was very tired.  So, I laid her back in her bed to finish out her nap.  After she'd slept an hour or so, I went in to check on her.  I could tell that she was breathing quicker than usual, but she was sleeping well, so I let her finish out her nap.  When she awoke, she was veeeerryy upset and couldn't seem to get her breath.  She was taking extremely short, shallow breaths, and she could only get enough air to make a noise every 20 seconds or so.  I called our doc, and after explaining the situation in full, the nurse told me to come on in.

Well, needless to say, after a couple of tests and an in-office breathing treatment, it was decided that she must be hospitalized.

Soooooo much went on in the hospital, it would take an hour to type it all.  Instead of using that time for typing instead of some much needed cleaning, I'm  just going to give you a rundown of the highlights : )

The first nurse was a neurotic mess.

Allen, the respiratory therapist is an awesome guy.  Definitely made up for the other quacks who tried my nerves.

At one point Eve was on oxygen, had an IV in her foot giving her Rocephin, and had a monitor taped to her foot.  Pi-ti-ful sight.

Doctor Adcock was great!  Highly recommend him.

Brandon and I slept on one of those pullout chairs...at the same time.  Not pretty.

I washed my hair in the in-room shower and after 20 minutes of rinsing, still had enough suds in my hair to make that crunch/bubbly sounds with I touched it.  Worst water pressure ever!

Our fourth nurse was great.  Loved Ashley!

At one point my dad, step mom, mom, brother, son, and sister were in the room while Brandon and I ate and grabbed stuff from home.  I've heard there are lots of stories there.

Our third respiratory therapist was a crazed smoker.  She had 3 asthmatic kids.  Imagine that. (P.S.  The doc is almost certain the smoke on my granny's clothes triggered the sudden lung inflammation.  So, a smoking therapist did not make me happy.)

After 3 prospective release times, we finally blew that joint just before lunch on the third day.

It was a crazy time.  Scary and trying.  I'm so happy to have a pretty healthy, slightly raspy/crackly baby at home now.

Like I said, I'll have to get back to you on the foiled Savannah trip.  It's just too soon.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Free Website templatesfreethemes4all.comFree Blog TemplatesLast NewsFree CMS TemplatesFree CSS TemplatesFree Soccer VideosFree Wordpress ThemesFree Web Templates